School Information

Special Educational Needs

At Ridgeway Primary School we have high expectations of all our children and aim to offer excellence and choice to all, whatever their ability or needs. We aim to achieve this through the removal of barriers to learning and participation. We want all our children to feel that they are a valued part of our school community. Through appropriate curricular provision, we respect the fact that children

Ridgeway Primary School firmly believes in developing a strong partnership with parents/carers and that this will enable children and young people with SEND to achieve their potential. The school recognises that parents/carers have a unique overview of their child's needs and how best to support them, and that this gives them a key role in the partnership. Parents/carers hold key information and have a critical role to play in their children's education.


Please read on to find out what Ridgeway can offer children with Special Educational Needs or read our SEND information report by clicking here.


What are Special Educational Needs?

‘A pupil has SEN (Special Educational Needs) where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, that is provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.’ (SEN Code of Practice p.82)


What kinds of Special Educational Needs are provided for at Ridgeway Primary School?

At Ridgeway we pride ourselves on being a fully inclusive school and we cater for all special educational needs. The Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice (DfE, 2015) outlines four main categories of Special Educational Need which are:

Communication and Interaction: Children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others. This may be because they have difficulty saying what they want to, understanding what is being said to them or they do not understand or use social rules of communication. The profile for every child with SLCN is different and their needs may change over time. They may have difficulty with one, some or all of the different aspects of speech, language or social communication at different times of their lives. Children and young people with ASD, including Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism, are likely to have particular difficulties with social interaction. They may also experience difficulties with language, communication and imagination, which can impact on how they relate to others.

Cognition and Learning: Support for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD), severe learning difficulties (SLD), where children are likely to need support in all areas of the curriculum and associated difficulties with mobility and communication, through to profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), where children are likely to have severe and complex learning difficulties as well as a physical disability or sensory impairment. Specific learning difficulties (SpLD), affect one or more specific aspects of learning. This encompasses a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia.

Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties: Children and young people may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which manifest themselves in many ways. These may include becoming withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour. These behaviours may reflect underlying mental health difficulties such as anxiety or depression, self-harming, substance misuse, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically unexplained. Other children and young people may have disorders such as attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder or attachment disorder.

Physical and/or Sensory needs: Some children and young people require special educational provision because they have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of the educational facilities generally provided. These difficulties can be age related and may fluctuate over time. Many children and young people with vision impairment (VI), hearing impairment (HI) or a multi-sensory impairment (MSI) will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning, or habilitation support. Children and young people with an MSI have a combination of vision and hearing difficulties. Some children and young people with a physical disability (PD) require additional ongoing support and equipment to access all the opportunities available to their peers.


How does Ridgeway know if pupils need extra help?

Children’s attainment and progress is tracked in detail each half term. We recognise that a child needs additional support when they are making less than expected progress given their age and individual circumstances. This may mean that:

If your child is not meeting age-related expectations and/or progress is a concern then your child’s class teacher, with support from the SENDCo, will identify any potential barriers to learning and plan strategies and intervention programmes that will aim to accelerate progress and close gaps in attainment.  


What should I do if I think my child may have Special Educational Needs?

Any concerns about your child should be raised with your child’s class teacher in the first instance. You can arrange to meet with them either before or after school by speaking to them directly, or by contacting the school office on 01543 227170 to arrange an appointment. He/she may suggest that you also meet with the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-Ordinator (SENDCo), who will be able to advise on possible next steps and further support services available to you and your child. You are able to contact the SENDCo to arrange a meeting by either telephoning the school office on 01543 227170 or email the SENDCo directly at or 


How will Ridgeway support my child?

Through quality first teaching – lessons are planned by the class teacher and differentiated to meet individual children's need.
Through targeted interventions - that are matched specifically to each child's need. These are usually run by Teaching Assistants and monitored by the class teacher. They may be run as 1:1 sessions or as a small group. Interventions will run for different lengths of time. All interventions will be recorded on a provision map by the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator.
Through additional outside agency support – once school has explored all avenues, if it is deemed necessary support will be sort by the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator from other agencies who may be able to offer specialist advice and support to the class teacher to better meet a child's needs.

If your child is on the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) register they will receive an Individual Educational Plan each term which will include specific targets linked to their identified area(s) of need. Their plan will be written in consultation with the child and parents and will detail the SEN support that school are putting in place to help the child achieve their personalised targets. 


How will the curriculum match my child's need?

Teachers plan learning taking children’s next steps into account. They differentiate their teaching to meet the needs of all learners in their class. If a child has identified SEND then the teacher will differentiate teaching and learning and possibly the learning environment to remove barriers to learning and enable them to access the curriculum more easily. Children may also be provided with specialist support from external agencies, specialised equipment and/or resources as well as additional support from the teacher and teaching assistant.


What is an Individual Education Plan?

If a child has an identified SEND they will have an IEP. This is an Individual Education plan which sets small achievable targets based on the child's need. These are written with parents, class teacher, the SENCo and where appropriate, the child. Our IEP's are child friendly and the child knows and understands their targets and what they have to do to meet them.


How will I know how well my child is doing?

Pupils’ attainment and progress is tracked regularly and intervention is put in place to address any gaps in learning and/or to accelerate progress. We hold Parents’ Evenings in the autumn and spring terms where we will discuss your child’s attainment and progress with you. You will receive a detailed report at the end of each school year. If your child is on our SEND register, you will also be able to meet with the SENDCo during the parents' evenings to discuss your child’s progress towards their individual learning targets (including the impact of the interventions that they have been part of) and to be part of the target setting for the following term.  


How will Ridgeway help me to support my child's learning?

We meet with parents of children on our SEND register each term and suggest ways to support your child at home. We hold various parents’ workshops throughout the year, including phonics, reading and maths workshops. The SENDCo will also be able to advise on ways to support your child and may also signpost you to further support from external services. There is a link at the end of this Information Report to the Staffordshire Marketplace where you can find additional advice and support.  

Inspire workshops are offered throughout the year where parents are given the skills they need to support their child's learning at home

The IEP meetings are also an opportunity for you to be given ideas about how to support your child's learning on a 1:1 basis

If an outside agency is involved they will often send a programme of support home for parents to help to support their child.


How is the decision made about the type of support and how much support my child will recieve?

The type of support that your child will receive will be dependent upon their individual needs. If external agencies are involved then we will follow recommendations made. For children receiving SEN support in school then the level of support will be determined by the nature of the interventions and/or precision teaching that they will receive and we will decide upon the necessary level of support to enable pupils to successfully meet their learning targets.

For children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) the support will be determined in the Plan and will be reviewed annually.  


How is my child involved in decisions?  

Pupils with SEND are encouraged to take an active role in reviewing their progress towards meeting their individual learning targets and to be part of deciding upon their next steps in consultation with their teacher, teaching assistant and SENDCo. If they have an EHCP they will be part of the annual review process.  


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

As a school we have access to a wide range of specialist services including:


How are parents involved in the school?

At Ridgeway, we strive to work in successful partnership with all of our parents. We hold a range of events throughout the year whereby parents are invited into school to be part of their children’s learning. Parents, as well as children, are encouraged to be an active participant in the Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle and are invited into school each term to review previous learning targets and to facilitate in the setting of the next term’s targets. 


How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new setting or to the next stage of education and life?

On Entry

If your child joins us in Nursery or Reception then they will be part of a comprehensive induction programme. This includes:

If your child joins us from another setting in Years 1 to 6 then they too will be offered some taster sessions and we will liaise closely with the school from which they are transferring to ensure a smooth transition and transfer of all necessary information.

Transfer to a new setting

If your child transfers to another school, we will liaise closely with the new school to ensure all information and any relevant records and/or documentation is passed on. The SENDCo will also contact the new school’s SENDCo to discuss support currently in place.

Moving up to the Next Class:

Teachers will hold a handover meeting in advance of the child moving up where information regarding children’s individual needs and the nature of SEN support they have received will be discussed.

Transition to Secondary Education:

During Year 6 there are various opportunities for the children and parents to visit high school and meet the staff. Children attend some transition visits and for pupils with SEND we often arrange further additional visits if we feel that this would be beneficial to the child. For schools in the local area, the SENDCos from both schools will hold a meeting in the summer term to discuss the children who have SEND and all necessary information, reports and documentation will be passed on to the new school. 


What support will there be for my child's overall well-being?

At Ridgeway we have a Child and Family Learning Mentor who supports children across school who may need additional help with their emotional well-being.

We deliver a comprehensive PHSE curriculum which provides pupils with the necessary knowledge, skills and understanding to develop their social and emotional well-being. This is available to view on the school website.

We also work with relevant support services to address issues that might affect young people such as low self-esteem, anxiety and depression.

We are also guided by advice in the Department for Education document ‘Mental Health and Behaviour in Schools’ (November 2018) School employs a Family Learning mentor to support pupil well-being on a group or individual basis.


How will the school support a child with Medical Needs?

All children who have a medical condition will have an individual care plan, which will have been written by parents and the relevant healthcare professionals where applicable. Staff who are required to administer medicines are trained by the necessary health care professionals and are certified as competent. Risk assessments will also be in place for some, more serious medical conditions such as epilepsy. At all times we adhere to the government guidelines in ‘Supporting pupils with medical conditions in school’ (DfE, 2014). See the separate policy Supporting Children with Medical conditions 2018  


How are the school's resources allocated and matched to children's special educational needs? 

At Ridgeway Primary School, allocation of resources is dependent upon need within the school. We use our budget to help raise attainment and achievement of all of our pupils, including those with SEND through:

Ensuring all classes have a highly qualified Teaching Assistant (TA) supporting the learning

Securing more TA hours to run intervention programmes and support in class

Running personalised one-to-one intervention programmes

Providing training on intervention programmes for TAs (and associated costs)

Ensuring that pupils have equal access to the curriculum


What training have the staff supporting SEND had or what training are they having?  

The SENDCo has been an SENDCO for 11 years and has achieved her NPQSL with a masters in SEND. The Assistant SENDCo has been training for 12 months and will complete the National SENDCo Award in 2020.

During 2019-20 less training was delivered than usual due to school being closed between March - July for the vast majority of pupils:


How accessible is the school both indoors and outdoors?

Ridgeway is a split level site; making it partly accessible to all. We have made a number of arrangements to ensure all areas are accessible.

We have a stair walker for access down the stairs for children who need a wheelchair. Two members of staff are fully trained to use this.

There is disabled access into different parts of the building and there is access around the whole of the outside of the building for a wheelchair.

There are disabled toilets on both levels of the building. 

‚ÄčThere is access to the main playground via a sloping path around the outside of the building.


How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom, including school trips?

We will always endeavour to make any necessary reasonable adjustments to ensure that all children are fully included in extra-curricular activities and school visits. Comprehensive risk assessments are carried out prior to a school visit and if necessary additional staff or specialist health professionals will support the activity/visit. Some individual children have their own risk assessments in case of fire. 


Who  can I contact for  further information or if I have any concerns?

You can contact:

Your child’s class teacher, either by speaking to them at the start or end of the school day, or by phoning the school office, to arrange a meeting

Miss Laura Gray, the SENDCo, or Miss Emily Banks, the Assistant SENDCO, either by phoning the school office or email or

Mrs Joanne Jelves, the Head Teacher, who can be contacted by phoning the school office or 

The SEND Governor, Mrs Pam Potter who can also be contacted via the school office or on 

Support services for parents of pupils with SEND include:

Staffordshire SEND Family Partnership /home.aspx  If you have a general enquiry, would like to speak to one of SEND Family Partnership team or to request information and support please telephone 01785 356921 during office hours. The answer machine is on out of office hours so please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible. Alternatively you can send an email to:  


Roles and Responsibilities of the SENCo

The SENCo is responsible for overseeing and implementing the SEN policy and the co-ordination of specific provision made to support individual pupils with SEND to ensure that they achieve as well as they can.

The SENCo will liaise with staff to monitor individual pupil's progress and plan further intervention when progress is slower than expected.

The SENCo has regular contact with a wide range of external agencies that are able to give more specialised advice:

Autism Outreach Team – available for any child with a confirmed diagnosis of Autism Spectrum disorder.

SENSS – The Special Educational Needs Support Service who work with children that are making less than expected progress. Your child has to be referred to this service through school. The team will work with school to suggest support strategies.

Behaviour Support Team – school refer to this support service for children experiencing Behavioural difficulties.

Educational Psychologist – a referral is made to the EP if a child is making significantly less progress than they should be or if it is felt that a statement of need is required.

Visual Impairment team – a referral is made to VI if a child has a severe diagnosed visual issue.

Hearing Impairment Team – a referral is made to HI if a child has significant hearing issues or hearing loss.

Local Support Team – a referral can be made to the LST for family support where parents are experiencing difficulties in the home.

Social Services/ First response team

CAMHS – a referral can be made to CAMHS to support a child with underlying issues such as anxiety or mental health issues.

Physical disabilities support service – a referral can be made if a child has significant physical difficulties – either with fine motor or gross motor.

School nurse/paediatricians – both are available for children who may need medical support.

Speech and Language team – a referral can be made if a child has speech and language concerns

Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists – these services are available for children with specific issues.

In Early Years there are different agencies involves such as the Early Years District SENCo and the Early Years Forum.


Glossary of Terms:

ADD - Attention Deficit Disorder
ADHD – Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder
ASD – Autism Spectrum Disorder
BESD – Behaviour, Emotional and Social Difficulties
CAF – Common Assessment Framework
CAMHS – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
COP – Code of Practice
CP – Child Protection
DCD – Developmental Co-ordination Disorder
EAL – English as an Additional language
EP – Educational Psychologist
FSM – Free School Meals
HI – Hearing Impairment
IEP – Individual Education Plan
LAC – Looked after Child
LA – Local Authority
MLD – Moderate Learning Difficulty
OT – Occupational Therapist
SALT – Speech and Language therapy
SEN – Special Educational Needs
SEND – Special Educational Needs and Disability.
SENCO/SENDCO – Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator
SLD – Severe Learning Difficulty
SpLD – Specific Learning Difficulty
VI – Visual Impairment

Click here for Ridgeway Primary School Special Educational Needs Policy

Please click on the links below for details of the Local Offer for Staffordshire.

Staffordshire County Council SEND Local Offer